Skip to main content
Create interactive lessons using any digital content including wikis with our free sister product
. Get it on the
Pages and Files
February 6 Sub Plans
Add "All Pages"
Website Evaluation Activity
Choose any two of the following websites, and decide whether or not they would be appropriate for a research assignment. Evaluate your chosen websites using the following criteria.
1. Authority - Who is the author of the article or the sponsor of the site? If the author is well known or the site is published by a reputable news source (such as
New York Times
), then you can feel more confident using it as a source than if you are unable to locate such information.
: Some sites include a page with information about the author or the site's sponsor. Check it out!
2. Bias - Is the site biased? The purpose of many Web sites is to sell products or services or to persuade rather than inform. These sites, though useful in some situations, present a biased point of view. Look for sites that offer several sets of facts or consider opinions from several sources.
3. Relevancy - Is the information in the site current? Material can last a lont time on the Web. Some research projects (such as historical accounts) depend on older records. However, if you're writing about cutting-edge technologies, you need to look for the most recent sources. Therefore, look for a date on information to make sure it is current.
4. Audience - For what audience is the site intended? Ensure that the content, tone, and style of the site match your needs. You probably wouldn't want to use information from a site geared towards teens if you're writing for adults or use a site that has a casual style and tone for serious research.
5. Links - Are the links appropriate? Check out the links provided on the site to determine whether they are still working and appropriate for your needs. Don't assume that the links provided are the only additional sources of information. Investigate other sites on your topic as well.
For each criterion, you must write a complete sentence or two that describes whether or not the website is acceptable.
List of Websites to Evaluate:
All About Explorers
California’s Velcro Crop Under Challenge
Dihydrogen Monoxide in the Dairy Industry
The First Human Male Pregnancy
Ladies Against Women
Pacific Northwest Tree Octopus
help on how to format text
Turn off "Getting Started"